Friday, August 7, 2009

Bowling pin cake pans and more miraculous signs

This week in A-Town and elsewhere…

Vi turned 10. We celebrated with a bowling bash—10 friends on a summer’s eve and a bowling pin cake topped with gumballs (I had already planned the party when I serendipitously scored the pin pan for 25 cents at a garage sale 2 weeks ago). Good times, good times.

. . . . .

My cousin Karin, in whose memory Life in A-Town was begun, has a new nephew, born Thursday morning. Karin’s mother Nina wrote: “His name is angelic, and his aunt is an angel.” Welcome to the world, Gabriel Benjamin Walsh!

. . . . .

I started a supplemental “body blog,” Grace’s A-Town-Oh-Me (a stretch of an analogy to “Grey’s Anatomy”). I figured (pardon the pun), by creating a topic-specific “problem spot” for weight-loss ruminations, I could let A-Town readers self-select: Those who care, and those who don’t care to “go there.” (My dear brother, for example, were he to grace this virtual A-Town with his presence, would likely not choose to read detailed descriptions of my pelvic injury and commensurate bodily contortions to try to stretch the darn thing!)

. . . . .

This week also marked my first realization, as chief administrator of a non-profit charitable organization, that I do not know, week to week, where or when our funding will come from…or even whether, in fact, the funding will come. “In God We Trust” takes on a whole new meaning.


(Do you think I should have entitled this post, “Bowling for Dollars”?)

3 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

Let me know if y'all ever need help with writing grants! It's one of my favorite hobbies :)

MGBR said...

I might just take you up on that! Thanks for the offer!

Nina said...

Is your office independent for fund raising or does the national office also contribute to your budget?

Do you do fund raising activities? Most charities in our area do annual galas and golf days. Some have scaled down the galas to no longer be black tie. Silent auctions are big. Even our grocery stores display expensive, signed, framed prints that have been donated to a charity available to the highest bidder. We have 2 of them hanging on our walls. ha! I think we sometimes fall in love and offer too much! ha!

PS That is sweet of you to mention Karin. Hugs...