Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If only oxymorons weren't so...

Grace feels guilty
For not blogging,
For postponing the cat’s ear appointment,
For being poor(ish),
For eating sweets,
For Facebooking, and
For blogging when my house is still messy.
“Grace feels guilty”…
That has a wrong sort of ring to it.

(Catch me after the banquet, maybe…)

P.S. Ten points for Gryffindor to the A-Town reader who can identify the source/meaning behind the photo with this entry (it's rather obscure, but I bet my dad can get it...except he won't get the Gryffindor part--man, do I miss HP!).

3 comments:

Nina said...

Ebenezer Scrooge? But I don't get the oxymoron part... Did Lowell guess it???

Tirlittan said...

OK. I am going to give it the old college try to faking and blustering my way through this with a dim comprehension of the matter....Antonin Salieri (AMADEUS) as an old man, taking "credit" for Mozart's demise...a false sense of self-importance contributing to an equally false sense of guilt...This is not to say that you are not important, you ARE but you also have to let yourself off the hook, especially when the weight of the world starts to beat you down...

MGBR said...

Tirlittan is correct with the ID (Salieri, Mozart's frustrated rival in the biographical film "Amadeus") but much deeper than I intended with the meaning. I was simply referring to the final scene of the movie when Salieri is wheelchaired through the insane asylum, claiming to be the Patron Saint of Mediocrity, offering absolution to the other inmates.

Salieri: "Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all.

I was "absolving" myself of the various guilts listed in the post...false guilts, perhaps.

The oxymoron reference was to Grace and Guilt.

Dad did ID Salieri but didn't know the part about Harry Potter's Hogwarts House, Gryffindor, getting "points" for astute answers. I think Tirlittan's answers warrants *20* points!!