Thursday, May 27, 2010

Para-normal

"I suppose parasols are out of fashion," I mused to myself while walking .8 miles to work under the blazing-hot sun.

"How much do you really care about fashion?" I replied, glancing down at my missionary/Mennonite-ish make-shift maternity outfit: A short-sleeved textured shirt I bought about a week ago at the Goodwill thrift store; a long stretchy sage-green skirt borrowed ages ago from my mother (I'll return it eventually, I promise, Mom); and periwinkle blue cotton socks, rolled down to the tops of my Saucony running shoes (which haven't been used for running in about 7 months).

"Not much, obviously."

[long pause, during which I imagined myself punching "parasol" into the eBay search bar]

"At least the socks are matching," I consoled.

(I wonder if a plain-old umbrella would do the trick.)

3 comments:

Holly said...

I think you would look very cute in a big floppy hat.

Anonymous said...

Mom has hats-a-plenty if you care to come and shop.

Nina said...

In my part of the world, it is not common, but certainly not abnormal, to see someone carrying an umbrella for shade on a hot, sunny day. If you can wear a sage skirt with periwinkle socks, you can carry a purple umbrella! ;-)