Monday, January 2, 2012

An Addendum to My Aspirations

This morning I awoke with a burst of creative energy, neurons firing madly. My first thought: Better lighting! Improving our household lighting should be another aspiration for the new year...

Ah, the delights of double entendres (the clean kind)! Because a little while later this morning (yes, I'm writing this at 7:30 and referencing "a little while later" -- hey, I'm an early riser), I read the enlightening blog of my fellow Christ-follower Melanie, a new friend in the past year. You can read my response in her Comments section, but I'll also post it here, as a confession of my heart's deeper desire:

Even as I wrote my own somewhat-silly entry on the new year's aspirations, I too thought of a surrender song: "All my ambitions, hopes and plans / I surrender these into Your Hands..." and also: "All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His Blood." Beyond my surface "dreams" for the coming year, I mostly and truly yearn for "A Closer Walk With Thee." Thanks for the much-needed reminder.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee. 


Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
 If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

[Refrain]

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

[Refrain]

4 comments:

Dana said...

It's difficult to think of a better aspiration for 2012. Thanks for the reminder. Hope you and your family have a great year in every way!

Nina said...

I needed that today, Marsha! Thanks!!!

Sherrie said...

Marsha, I didn't have the song in mind, but this has been my journaling during prayer for the new year. May we make that our goal for the year, what a difference we can make!

Melanie Eccles said...

love it! so glad to know I'm in good company in my pursuits.