Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A-Typical sightings: A hot car, an exchange of flashes...hey, whatever it takes to see us through the dead of winter!

A Jaguar in Albion. Yep, really. Saw one yesterday, driven by an attractive young blonde woman. Cool, I thought. And then...



...she pulled into the McDonald's drive-thru! Such a disappointment.

*     *     *     *     *

Today at the drugstore, I saw a handsome, well-dressed, completely bald-headed man with beautiful teeth. Part Messr. Metro, part Mr. Clean. The reason I know he had beautiful teeth is that he flashed them at me in the checkout line. Granted, I flashed mine first. (My, this sounds racy...but it's not!)

"Did you win the lottery?" Metro Man asked me.

"Huh? Oh! No..." I replied, realizing he wanted me to explain my seemingly random grin.

"I was just shopping for deodorant for my husband," I said, still bemused. "I don't know if I've ever shopped for men's deodorant, so I didn't anticipate the machismo marketing...

"Did you know that could can buy a twin pack of Old Spice--'2 Manly Deodorants' together?! I wonder how many men have fallen for that ploy!!"

Quickly, I glanced down at the counter. Whew! Lucky for me, this guy wasn't one of 'em--at least, not today.

Unlike Jaguar Lady with her low-brow palate, I can go on imagining that this city slicker passer-through graces his 'pits with nothing less than Ralph Lauren.

It's a silliness to record these things, I suppose, but such diversions lend my spirit a lightness that winter's lack of light threatens to extinguish.







3 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

I needed this lightness in my day! Thank you for sharing a little A-town culture :)

Wright said...

A Jaguar? Wow, I would have expected her to stop at Burger King at minimum...

Nina said...

Get on a plane and come to Texas!!! You need an infusion of REAL culture!!!