Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Heart to Give

Since I introduced the concept of alternative holiday shopping in yesterday’s post, I am suggesting 3 more potential places to consider for giving gifts of goodness:

International Child Care Ministries is somewhat like Food for the Poor, but perhaps more personal, in that its primary mission is pairing sponsors with individual children in need. Our family has been sponsoring a boy in Burundi for several years. I know the director of this organization personally and can vouch for her Christ-like character and compassion.

Children of Zion Village in Namibia is a place of refuge, education and family for kids whose families have dissipated due to HIV and AIDS. My dear friend Jessica Breitenbach-Mubuyaeta left her life as a middle-class American and moved to COZV to care for these dear ones. As it turned out, she met her beloved while working alongside him at the orphanage. These newlyweds are among the most pure-hearted, real-deal purveyors of God’s grace in the world. If you’re looking for a way to spread more love this Christmas, sponsor them.

Care Net Center of Greater Orleans deals day-in and day-out with clients facing unplanned pregnancies, sexually transmitted infections, and other outcomes of intimacy outside the security and sanctity of monogamous marriage. I am very well acquainted with this agency and believe, most ardently, that the Spirit is present and active in this place. Such significant decisions and miraculous moments necessitate the support of people who love Life.

Yes, I am posting this a little after 8. I promise to postpone my “online on-time” to 8 a.m. tomorrow.

Lastly, my dad continues to recover from surgery. Dear A-Town readers who pray: Please keep it up!

No comments: