Monday, January 18, 2010

Here’s to A-Town! Here’s to Karin! Here’s to Life!

Karin would not have let this happen! I allowed the first anniversary of Life in A-Town (January 15th) flit by with no notice whatever. My cousin, in whose memory and honor I began this blog, was a record keeper and datebook historian of the highest order. She remembered significant occasions of so many kinds…and of varying significance: birthdays and wedding anniversaries (of course), but also engagement days and pet acquisitions, friendship firsts and children’s milestones. Almost every day was a day to celebrate something. I knew this about her even though I didn’t know her very well. And when she passed away so swiftly in December 2008 (December 15th, to name the date), I learned how much “the moments”—the big and small stuff of life—meant to her. Her friends and family reflected at length, with admiration, appreciation, and good-humored affection, her habit of marking the days.

And why not? Life is full of gifts and graces worth noticing. It’s one of many poignant lessons I brought back from North Carolina where we said goodbye to Karin…until we meet again.

So, by the by, today marks 12 weeks of gestation for our newest family member. Only 28 more weeks (give or take a few days) until we welcome him or her to this wonderful world.

By the by, part 2: My sister and brother-in-law had Life in A-Town published as a Christmas present for me! It’s a yearbook like none other, Life in A-Town 2009, and I cherish it. In case anyone else is interested in obtaining a copy, contact me or my sister via email or Facebook, and you can buy an A-Town yearbook of your very own. (This is, of course—you know me—a not-for-profit “advertisement.”)

2 comments:

Nina said...

Publishing a blog is a "Karin thing" to do! She made books of her blogs about Kevin and going to Vietnam, etc. She also gave me a book of my dog blog for Christmas in 2007. It is on my list of things to do to publish her remaining blogs not yet in print. Someday, I will get around to it. Meanwhile, they are still all online.

Jenny said...

I don't blog! I think mostly because I don't understand it completely. I scrap...butthatis different..you can go back and edit dates if youget them wrong or fill in theblanks and with blogging, if you miss a date, don;t you just "miss" it? Karin was the BEST! I was her case manager fro her two Vietnamese children. She was the most perfect "client". She NEVER complained and ona couple of occassions talked ME down! I remember on those occassions hearing her take a breath and start out in her cheerful CALM voice "um...." followed by some wonderfully profound words of wisdom with not a whine or a curse word among them. You mustrealize, that duringthe time Karin and Steve were in their process of adopting form Vietnam, all H-ll was breaking lose. The stress was unbelievable on allsides, PAPS, casemanagers, Staff, agencies, govt offices....you name it. Every one wanted to lash out atthe agencies becasue thatis who they could touch. In my world, in my position, that meant ME! lol But Karin was justone of those people who just go on the adoption sites and calm peple down, get them off other people's back and tryto keep the humanity going. Keep everyone on the same page or in the same boat rowing in the same direction. BUT..At times I just wanted to get her to curse! lol Just ONC...but nope! Not our Karin! She was the beacon at all times to the higher power...and little did we know that she literally WAS!
I am so grateful thatKarin obviously had wonderful parents and an awesome brother, she was married to a man of such strengthand love for her and she has a beautiful little boy who started HIS life in Russia. Butthey were defintely family through and through. I feel blessed that I was a psrt of a wonderful gift...the gift of watching Karin and her family ful fill their dream. Itwas a short lived dream buta dream thatlives on in the hearts and spirits of her family and thatof her two little Vietnamese angel's new forever families. How blessed everyone has become...because of Karin. A pillar of strength even in adversity. And now, you, her cousin, carrying it on in words. Here's to Karin! Here's to LIFE!
Karin's friend first, case manager second-Jenny Jensen-Howard