Saturday, July 17, 2010

My latest craving: Invisibility!

There comes a point in every pregnancy when I just want to withdraw from the world. I don’t want to be seen. I don’t want to waddle anywhere to be gawked at, cooed about, patted, patronized, or even genuinely nurtured by well-meaning, good-hearted friends. I have reached that point in this pregnancy. I just want to be home.

Of course, I won’t get my wish. I still have to work. My blessedly good health contraindicates an early maternity leave. I probably will need to make a few more trips to the grocery store before my labor day. And I do want to go to church to worship God, my Creator and Creator of this baby who causes me to waddle. So I will carry on. I will go about the business of everyday life, even self-consciously, and hope that I can bear some light in this world, even as I prepare to bear this new child.

(But I do long for an invisibility cloak at such a time as this!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so understand this! I remember going to Wegmans in my 38th week, and couldn't get through one aisle without someone making some comment about me looking "so ready to pop". I was ready to pop someone, that's for sure. Then when I got to the checkout the clerk took one look at me, picked up the intercom and paged "helping hands", lol! Love Tracy Wright

Anonymous said...

I thought you may be getting to that point. So I have been clamming up and feeling for you from afar, LOL.
Prayers continue for your good health and easy delivery, healthy baby, and all the patting and cooing and nurturing to be reverted to him/her :-) ~Janine Miller

Anonymous said...

After baby is born is when you become invisible- like it or not!

Sherrie said...

Okay I will pretend that I don't see you in Church tomorrow morning. But I love you and I am praying for you and I can't wait to me the newest Waters family member!

Scott said...

The way you feel is normal. The bonding process between mother and unborn child is powerful. Your baby kicks you in the belly and keeps you awake at night. But remember this same child soon will also give you hugs and kisses and tell you I Love you.