Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thinkin' About Drinkin'

(Not that kinda drinkin'...)

On the tails of my Tim Hortons iced mocha cappuccino confession the other day, my midwife (who, as far as I know, does not read this blog and did not know about my developing habit) gave me an earnest talking-to about avoiding sweet drinks this final few weeks of pregnancy. Basically, she said, sugar is only going to bulk up the baby, making delivery more difficult for both of us. (sigh) I know she's right. But...but... (sigh) So much for iced mocha capps for now.

When it's 90+ degrees and horrendously humid, though, it's hard to think of much else besides hydrating. I'm trying to be good, sticking to ice water for the most part. But then I happened across this yummy-sounding recipe in my daily Runner's World email message, so I thought I'd share it with those of you who are free to indulge:

Coconut Shake
Protein, carbs, and electrolytes make this an ideal drink to add to your post-run nutrition routine.

1 11-ounce container coconut water
1 cup cherry juice
1 scoop unflavored or vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup strawberries, frozen
1 banana

Add all the ingredients to a blender and whirl until smooth. Serves one.

Calories: 440
Carbs: 70 g
Protein: 27 g
Fat: 2 g

For more runner-friendly post-run beverage suggestions, here's the link. I'm looking forward to drinking and running not long from now.

No comments: