Friday, November 26, 2010

Botched potatoes and Black Friday magic

Thanksgiving was fine, but I badly botched the mashed potatoes. Ironic, seeing as how: a) I insisted on making them because Will’s are typically butterless and bland; and b) I had actually taken the time to read an article online yesterday morning about how not to botch the mashed potatoes. As my 14-year-old niece would say, “Fail!” Ah, well—we consumed our obligatory feast anyhow, in the company of several beloved family members, plus one quirky guest. I really should focus on the togetherness rather than the excess—it would make me much less Grinch-like on these over-the-top occasions.

I’ve blogged before about why holidays tend to make me twitchy, but yesterday, a new idea arrived: The Magic of Ordinary Days. It’s the title of one of my favorite movies, one that hardly anyone seems to know about. It’s a Hallmark flick, starring Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich, an unlikely couple who end up enjoying much love and contentment together, in a wholly wholesome way. While I definitely recommend the film, it’s the title that struck me as the reason I resist the merriment most everyone else embraces.
I simply prefer ordinary days to prescribed “special” ones. I really do revel in routine. It’s not that I abhor surprises, like some friends I know. And I don’t think I’m a dull sort of person, who doesn’t know how to have fun. I like to enjoy the good stuff of life in the midst of it, not necessarily in a time set aside. I don’t want my “special moments” to be pressured or forced. In fact, rather than resisting surprises, I regularly seek them out and delight in them. Give me one serendipitous bout of laughter over a boatload of sappy greeting cards.

The moral of my Black Friday reflection? Hallmark cards, no; Hallmark movies, yes. But seriously, I’m spending my day doing laundry—and loving its magical ordinary-ness (once I tear myself away from this magnetic black hole called the “internets”).

6 comments:

sherrie said...

This puts it out there so well! i love the holidays but they are so often a disappointment to expectation! I too prefer the joys and the events discovered in ordinary days! They are so much more memorable and meaningful for their spontaneity rather than feeling forced. I will take this as my "get over it" kick in the pants to my sadness that Quinn and Jase will not be here until 12/26....now we can turn some ordinary days into some family memories!

Holly said...

My potatoes were too try:( These things happen.

I JUST WATCHED The Magic of Ordinary Days!!! (I love Keri Russell. Have you seen Waitress? That's my favorite.)

Your posts make me happy.

Holly said...

I meant "dry" not "try."

Tirlittan said...

Catching up on your blogs makes being sick totally worth it!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful quotidian mysteries and truths!

MGBR said...

Awww, sorry you're sick, Tirlittan.

Sherrie, 12/26 could be just as magical as 12/25 -- maybe even moreso. And, as my mom likes to point out, Jesus was probably born in the spring!

I knew whatcha meant, Holly -- and thanks for correcting my Keri Russell spelling. (And yes, I enjoyed "Waitress" very much, although it's not nearly as wholesome as 'Ordinary Magic.' Incidentally, I tried hard, whilst botching the potatoes, to think of an alternate title to the Russell/Ulrich film and failed to procure anything satisfactory. What would you name it?)

Nina said...

I can't imagine how you botched mashed potatoes unless you used instant! I don't think I have ever had a bad mashed (real) potato. That is an oxymoron! If they are too dry, add gravy. If they are soupy, that might be a problem. ha!

Something good must happen on special days, otherwise we wouldn't look forward to them!