Friday, December 17, 2010

A few of my favorite things

“Reindeer in poses and Fiskars and mittens…”

An eclectic little list, to make merry:

“Santa’s Rockin’,” by The Wiggles – My favorite non-classic Christmas show, followed closely by “Christmas at Plum Creek” (from Little House on the Prairie, Season 1) and “A Keaton Christmas Carol” (from Family Ties, not sure what season – it’s on a “Holiday Treats” DVD I bought for myself last December). Not only do I love the Reindeer Dance (“dancing in Christmas pants”), but also the spiritual aspects of the program are surprisingly stirring.

Panda Licorice BarsThese remind me of a truly lovely person named Edna, with whom I used to work. She left one of these bars on my desk with one of her signature pick-you-up sticky notes a long time ago, and I’ve enjoyed them ever since. Edna passed away six years ago, so eating the Panda bars also keeps her memory kindled for me. Oh, and as a bonus, licorice root apparently helps stave off depression, according to this cool book:

Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills, by Raleigh Briggs. One hundred and twenty-four handwritten pages of home-making, earth-living tips and tricks. The tree-hugger in me loves this little pretty, plucky little volume. (I admire pluck.)

Paraclete PressI ordered a couple of CDs from them over the summer, and they’ve been sending cool downloads ever since (along with promos for more stuff to buy, natch).

A small shout-out to Duluth Trading Co. I received a catalog from them a few weeks ago and decided to order some stuff – Christmas presents. But when I finally found a few quiet moments to do so, I couldn’t find my catalog and thus the “free shipping” code that came with it. Well, “Ask and you shall receive!” I called up Duluth and they happily waived the fee, sans code. Here’s to affable customer service!

No comments: