Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vanity, nobility and something about a cake with a bean in it

From beautification back to bare bones, this blog’s been through makeover mayhem the past couple of days! It started with an innocent Google search: vintage blog templates. That led me to ShabbyBlogs.com, which led me to “try on” several stylish online outfits, including an admittedly garish multicolored rose background dubbed “Megan” that, rather inexplicably, I adored. But ultimately, Will objected to the “florification” of our family blog. He requested something “less feminine.” Which led me to this, my simplest, but perhaps most original look yet. I created the Life in A-Town header using some tips and tricks I picked up over at ShabbyBlogs, namely, a referral to nifty, thrifty digital playground called FotoFlexer.com. (You should check it out. If you’re into that sort of thing.)

On a heavier note: Five days in, and I’m still going strong with my New Year’s resolution not to weigh myself! I’m even thinking about baking a King’s Cake in honor of the Twelfth Night, an unsung holiday in these parts.

On a more serious note: I found the words to a hymn that suits my New Year’s aspirations to a tee, and I share them with you here:

By Samuel Longfellow
(Tune: Canterbury)

Holy Spirit, Truth divine,
dawn upon this soul of mine;
Word of God and inward light,
wake my spirit, clear my sight.

Holy Spirit, Love divine,
glow within this heart of mine;
kindle every high desire;
perish self in thy pure fire.

Holy Spirit, Power divine,
fill and nerve this will of mine;
grant that I may strongly live,
bravely bear, and nobly strive.

Holy Spirit, Right divine,
King within my conscience reign;
be my Lord, and I shall be
firmly bound, forever free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Child of my heart--a fine old hymn indeed!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the header!! Nicely done!

Asea said...

I love the new look! :-)