Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Trio

MinnesotaBrown.com (the 10th image from Googling: beard polyester beer cross)
Today I saw two wild-bearded, middle-aged men,
driving a battered white Volvo through the main intersection of my town.
I thought they might be retired rockers. (ZZ Top?)

Today I saw one white-haired woman wearing an emerald-green polyester suit,
clutching a big black handbag, precariously crossing the same intersection.
I thought she must be headed to church, as she undoubtedly does yearly—good woman, Good Friday.

Today I saw a stocky stranger trying to steal beer.
The store manager stopped him 50 feet from the front door of my favorite place to buy candy and cards (which happens to stand at the same said intersection).
Watching the thwarted thief lug his 24-pack back into the drugstore,
I thought of the criminal on the cross next to Jesus,
and prayed that his destiny would parallel Christ’s neighbor’s.


“Truly I tell you: Today you will be with me in paradise.” – Luke 23:43

No comments: