Wednesday, June 13, 2012

To my lifelong friend currently living in London

SJF:

Today I strapped dear Delia into her stroller and strode straight to the park where you and I used to play. Only this time, instead of staying near the slides, swings and things, I kept going, all the way to the west side where we used to crawl under the fence to get in. I checked: Both fence holes are filled (the one behind my parents' house and the one behind "the crazy people's").

The mounds of dirt are also gone -- the ones where you used to dig so daintily, poking the ground with a carefully selected stick, and where I -- I savagely scratched the soil like a primitive primate, always returning to my mother looking like the proud maker of mud pies that I was.

Prowling the perimeter of the park today (30+ years since we claimed it as ours), I peered through the vine-covered fence to find the neighbors' yards altered by the decades. The tidy half-acre of lush lawn Mr. and Mrs. Y used to prune so fastidiously is now patchy and brown, guarded by two menacing dogs.

The woods remain, where we fancied ourselves budding Thoreaus, concocting codes and composing poems about ethereal aspirations, sibling rivalries, and the fragrant violets that carpeted the ground by our "treehouse" in early spring. The walkways are overgrown. And a rusty swingset stands in the middle of the plot, perpendicular to Mrs. Jones' swimming pool (which, by the way, is gone, too -- but at least that old swingset is there, a monument of our childhood).

The saddest part about my park adventure, aside from the ache that accompanies nostalgia, was the absence of any children at the park on this sunny, almost-summer afternoon. "Where are they?" I wondered. "Watching TV," was my gut guess. Gut-wrenching.

But then, a hopeful discovery: Raspberry vines, on the south side, by the woods! The fruit is green, but it should ripen in two or three weeks' time, when I will return to the park and think of you, my beloved friend.

Much love,
Marsha Grace

5 comments:

Leena said...

Oh, thank you for posting this so we all could read. This morning I'll go to church, but "the ache that accompanies nostalgia" shall feed my soul all day long.

Scott said...

People say that losing weight is no walk in the park. When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem.

Tirlittan said...

Just beautiful! So heart-achingly sweet. Thank You, Marsha!!

Julie said...

I loved this one. Was just reading the most recent post (which was also great - I loved your schizo ending) and felt I needed to comment on this one :)

Unknown said...

I was just telling Kyle about how we all used to slide under the fence in your folk's backyard to get into the park. And as I talked, the memory of it was palpatable. Thanks for you blog reminding me again of happy, dreaming days of days gone by.