Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saturday shorts: Library love | Lucky 7's | Sweet struggle

…as in: I wish I had a decent pair of shorts to wear to beat this heat!

…and as in: I’ve only got time for a few short reflections on this super-busy Saturday.
1) The Hoag Library has opened today, and all of A-Town seems elated. OK, not everybody, but certainly the steady stream of folks who’ve strolled through, gape-mouthed and beaming, since Hoag’s doors opened at 11 a.m.
Photo courtesy of The Daily News (vis-a-vis Tom Rivers)
Tom and I were among the privileged few (maybe 100? I’m not a great guesstimator) who got to “sneak peak” the place last evening. I can’t quite articulate the positive emotional charge buzzing about my spirit since stepping foot in that beautiful building, so I’ll just say—in concurrence with the legacy of my friend Gwen’s lovely little Evan: “My heart is happy.”

2) Tom and I are both bound for our 20-year high school class reunions tonight, in our respective hometowns, two hours apart. To quote my quotable father: “What are the odds?” {that our reunions were scheduled on the same day…}

Dad would also ask for a number on the occasion of such a coincidence. (In fact, he did ask for a number this morning when I told him.) His far-fetched theory is that playing a number derived from an uncanny happenstance should surely increase a person’s chances of winning the lottery. Like I said, it’s far-fetched…and (mostly) facetious. So I just played along and said, “Seven, seven.” Today’s date, of course. A few hours later, it occurs to me that Tom and I both ranked seventh in our high school classes. {cue Twilight Zone music}

3) Lastly, I do declare, for the umpteenth, that sugar is the sworn enemy of Marsha! After I posted my discovery of delicious Darrell Lea licorice, I discovered the availability of said sweet on Amazon.com Subscribe & Save. {sigh!} Plus, I discovered the mango flavored kind — killer, killer! Please pray for me. (I am not being facetious.)

No comments: