Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ironies and Inaccuracies

An update on the cat called Marmalade: It’s a he (not a she), and he’s not declawed. Also, the mark in the cat’s left ear that I read as “M” is more likely an “N” standing for Neutered, according to my new cat-expert friend Bud. Bud’s wife is a former co-worker of mine who saw my plea for pity on misplaced Marmie and drove about a half-hour from her house to come look at the kitty. Mr. and Mrs. Bud pointed out the inaccuracies of my “advertisement.” (Sorry, guys—I’m not a vet, just a sucker for strays.) I have one more possible taker before I deliver this poor wandering one to a shelter (the no-kill kind if they’ll take him).

In other news, the Waters fam ran in a local 5k race today. Will and Vi finished third in their respective age groups, and I, Grace, took the top prize for 30-34-year-old females! This accomplishment would be a great deal more impressive had I not been the only runner in my category. Ah, well. It’s just another instance confirming my dad’s oft-quoted adage: “80% of life is showing up!”

One ironic twist of the race was that the prizes were, instead of trophies or ribbons or plaques—cookies! That’s right, run 3.1 miles, burn a few hundred calories, then chow ’em right back down. These were rather large sugar cookies, liberally slathered with bright-colored frosting and icing-piped words corresponding with the recipient’s achievement. I came home and cut mine into pie-shaped wedges, yielding about a half-dozen. Yes, I shared.

5 comments:

Auntie Jean said...

That's MR. Marmie to you!

Well, drat. These things happen. At least he's neutered, and he's been spared the indecency of losing his toes. I NEVER would have pegged that cat as a male. Not sure why...probably because he's neutered? Ugh!

Hopefully your second option will pan out!

Congrats on your cooking winning! Ha! That's a riot! Tell Vi and Will well done from me. I hung Vi and Ben's drawings up on our cabinets today proudly. My fella was especially pleased with the plane drawing especially for him. :)

Auntie Jean said...

PS...love the cat cookie cutter. Nice touch! ;)

Unknown said...

I agree about the cookie cutter! How perfect!! It's even orange like "Marmie"! :D

Congrats on your finish! On everyone's finish!!

I hope the cookies tasted as good as they looked. :)

Nina said...

So glad to hear that you were first! You are first in my book too!

Nina said...

About the cookie cutter, I am dying to know how/where you find your illustrations!!! It would take me longer to find corresponding photos than to write the posts!