Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Our sloppy, earnest selves

I’ve been having a lot of “What Not to Wear” days lately, a consequence of rapid weight gain (via pregnancy), accompanied by my scale’s unprecedented stubbornness. Despite my halfhearted efforts to shed postnatal poundage, the needle refuses to budge. If I sound like a broken record, it’s because my Sunbeam analog weight measuring machine looks like one!

(I’m also experiencing an unprecedented case of blog inertia. It’s been so long since I’ve posted here that I now hesitate to disturb the peace. But I don’t think I’m ready to let A-Town die, so I’m shouting this “HELLO!-Hello!-hello-hello…” to echo in the blogosphere. It doesn’t matter if anyone is listening.  Sometimes the sole purpose of throwing a stone is to witness the ripple, a reminder to oneself: “I am alive. Here I am. Hello.”)

Getting back to the bad outfits, I’ve been cobbling together pitiful combinations of thrift store finds, not-too-huge maternity clothes, and the few faithful pieces of my year-ago wardrobe that still will accommodate my considerably expanded girth. The results ain’t pretty. The selection problem, paired with the schedule problem (getting the kids ready, myself ready, and the house ready to meet the challenges of our daily life, all before noon), gives rise to a clumsy tango of doing what needs doing, and being who we are: Our sloppy, earnest selves.

We’re facing the music with as much grace as we can muster. This is where God comes in. Where we are inadequate, God carries. Some days I feel perfectly capable and confident. Other days I relate heartily to the helpless infant in my lap. And God carries us both – God carries us all.


Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances
you may have against one another.
Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

And over all these virtues put on love,
which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,
since as members of one body you were called to peace.
And be thankful.

—Colossians 3:12-15

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am listening, always. :)

I love this post, because I can totally relate. I feel very inadequate much of the time, although I do try, and I do mean well. (And yes, I am very, very sloppy...:)

Anonymous said...

I love your posts, so please don't stop! They are beautiful reminders of the truly important things in life--family, faith, and the little things that make up our days and subsequently our lives.

Unknown said...

I may not always comment, but I'm always reading. :)

Mary said...

I too love your posts and am always listening.

Leena said...

Me too. And the fact that you use words like "clumsy tango" will forever lead me back.