Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Why

Originally Posted Jan. 15, 2009 @ lifeinatown.wordpress.com

I’ve started other blogs before, but I’ve never kept up with any of them. I hope this one will be different — partly because I have my cousin Karin in mind, but also because I’m overcoming two of my biggest obstacles: identity and anonymity. Let me explain:

1) Identity. Because of the nature of my work, I’ve always hesitated to express personal thoughts about my life as publicly as in a blog. So I’ve decided to use pseudonyms in this one.

2) Anonymity. I’ve tried the pseudonym trick in the past, but then I haven’t told anybody that I’m writing the blog, thus missing out on my most natural readership: family and friends. So, this time, I’m notifying potentially interested parties via private email.

My sister says the best blogs have a theme of some sort. She’s probably right (she usually is), but I don’t have any set theme in mind, except “Young Family Life in Small Town America.” Pretty bland, probably, but maybe a theme/themes will emerge. One of the nice features of the WordPress blog program is that readers can sign up for email notifications whenever there are new posts. My ambition is to post once a week, but in case I don’t, I won’t have thousands of readers eagerly checking, only to have their hopes dashed.

No comments: