Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stingless, But Excruciating

It occurred to me last night that my blog, lately, has been about a whole lotta nothin’! Here’s something real.....

As I write, my dear, sweet co-worker’s 44-year-old daughter lies in a hospital bed, clinging to life, having battled t-cell lymphoma for nearly 2 decades. Will she live? How much longer? “Where, o death, is thy sting?” (1 Cor. 15:55, KJV) But I feel so very sad and helpless by the prospect of this profound, “stingless” pain, perhaps to come upon my beloved friend and her family in the very-near future.

My heart is revisiting the grief at my cousin Karin’s passing, still present with me and my family after only 5 months (6, come next Monday). I wear her clothes almost daily, a tangible reminder of the precious gift that life is..... I’m also remembering my college classmate Matt’s death from cancer, 4 years ago. I look to the words of perspective and comfort offered by Karin’s dad, and Matt’s:

As you can imagine, we have read many things, and thought about many things, and discussed a great deal...trying to enlarge our understanding of things that are beyond understanding.

Somewhere along the way, we read and found ourselves responding to the simple, yet profound, words written by Billy Graham in his book of autobiographical reflections, The Journey. Somewhere towards the end of the book, he states: “Life is difficult; God is good; Heaven is real.” These are foundational thoughts, held together by our faith and our hope as we begin this next chapter our lives.

I know there is still hope for MJ’s daughter Kathy to win this battle! And wouldn’t that be the bomb?!* But no matter what happens—please, God: Let Love Win (as I know it has, and I know it will)—in my life, and in this “dangerous and untidy world” (JFK). Amen.



*The bomb (adj.): Very good, excellent, the best, cool, awesome. Source: The Online Slang Dictionary

1 comment:

Nina said...

How sweet of you to revisit Karin's journey which I recall daily. In reading Elizabeth Edwards' "Saving Graces," she declared that the best way to comfort her is to remember her son Wade, whom she lost in a car accident.