Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Forsaking Facebook for benefit of books

http://olivyaz.blogspot.com/2011/03/lent-is-here.html
I have decided to un-follow Facebook
I have decided to un-follow Facebook
I have decided to un-follow Facebook
No turning back, no turning back.
(Until Easter.)

Yes, I am resolved to forsake Facebook this Lenten season, for the benefit of books...and the bevy of other spiritual supplements I have neglected because my friends are so darn fascinating! I want to read, write and run, all of which, in my world, are forms of prayer--that turning and returning to God that we Christians are called...invited...to heed especially at this time of year.

I plan to check in twice a week, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 12 noon, for a maximum of 15 minutes. A stronger saint might not need these planned "cheats," but I admit my weakness. A further-along Christian might also refrain from publicly sharing her private intentions to obey the call to prayer and fasting. But there again, I need the accountability this declaration affords. (Plus, I am vain enough to imagine that maybe my absence will be felt...at least enough that people might wonder what's become of me.)

So from tomorrow 'til April, I'll have my nose in a book and my nose to the grindstone. This is a busy season, as well as a contemplative one. Juxtapositions abound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you'll still be checking in as this our main form of communication! And you can't give up me for Lent, right??? : )
-Bets