Friday, February 1, 2013

Wife of local journalist opposes Friday evening assignments


I don’t know who dislikes the Friday night shift more, Tom or me. I disliked it when I had to work it, and I dislike it even more with every passing annum. Nearly 15 years Tom’s been at this gig, The Daily News. Sixteen and a half years as a reporter, counting his stint at the Albion Advertiser weekly paper.

http://bit.ly/tQ92KV
I’m somewhat used to the unpredictability of the journalism life. News happens when it happens; politicians swoop into town on a few hours’ notice (and then usually end up running late); readers and sources call at all hours of the day or night (even on holidays…even if it’s unimportant); car accidents and fires don’t go by a schedule. I’ve said that being married to a reporter seems like being married to a firefighter who is also a pastor who is also an obstetrician — we never really know what Tom’s work hours will be, week to week, day to day, hour to hour. He’s just sort of always “on call.”

But even though I have grown about as go-with-the-flow as any spouse could be expected, I still can’t stand the Friday evenings at home without him. There’s something about Fridays that feels like cause for celebration, naturally designed for a hair-down, comfy-jeans, no-worries night on the town…or a happy dance in the living room, a bottle of bubbly (Diet Pepsi, of course), and a favorite movie as familiar as a pilly pair of red cashmere socks.

Instead, this Friday night absence sneaks up on us. Around Tuesday or Wednesday, Tom will say, “I think I might be the Friday night guy…” And something inside me writhes like a toddler whose partially eaten bag of cotton candy has been snatched away. “NO!” my inner child yelps in protest. “Don’t take away my Fun Friday!”

So here I sit while the kids banter, play and argue in the other room…tap-tap-typing this whine away with frozen fingers, lamenting another Friday night when the “freedom of the press” usurped my would-be revelry.

5 comments:

Tirlittan said...

What can i say...i am trying to find adequate words to express my sympathy and there just aren't any. Sending you sympathetic murmurings and nods of the head.

MGBR said...

Well, of course, I have gobs to be grateful for: a warm house, a hard-working husband, four healthy children who are inventive enough to formulate arguments with each other... All the same, thanks for the companionable clucks of compassion. (I conjured that alliterative phrase especially for you.)

Stephy said...

I think you should expand and modify this and have Tom replace it as his next column piece. He's covered so much stuff about locals over the years, why not cover the coverage?

Julie said...

Ditto! Really like that last line. If you're going to suffer, at least you've made art out of it ;)

Nina said...

I third that motion.